Wednesday, February 18, 2009

dccclxxxiii

Beware of still waters & overly obedient children
                                                             —Lewis Warsh

Under the influence. The wind is blowing
like an ocean. Trust me when I say I’ve
been up all night. I wonder what Monday
will bring. I guess I can take a nap in the
parking lot.

Then I walked over to check out their
room at the St. Francis Hotel. All we
did was go up and down the elevator.
That was pretty much yesterday. Still
somewhat exhilerated by the breakthrough.

The birds are singing for me. The new
television is like a black hole. I will
take a shower in 20 minutes. So what?
I am losing to the dawn, its doves
and trolleys.

I don’t remember any childhood
confidence. I do remember exhileration.
Joy in getting lost. Being “teacher’s pet.”
I didn’t rebel until a senior in high school.
The rest of my life I erase

every rule I ever learned. All the while
feeding all the spectators I can muster
my brilliant act of conformity. Me,
an honest Gemini, whichever mask
is the true one.