Wednesday, March 31, 2010

mclvii

Mimicry, being the greatest form of flattery...

What’s wrong with straightforward?   Why must
everything even semi-compelling tend toward the

oblique?   In love (and its various offshoots) there
are those to whom the chase is by far the most inter-

esting part.   Being of that persuasion for the majority of
my years, now I only play hard to get.   Still obsessed, how-

ever, with the overly long (a few years is fine) and even
semi-ambiguous chase, this reduces my chances of a

palpable and palatable terminus (OK, consumma-
tion) to nearly nil.   This presumably works well

when one is happily espoused (particularly
if yet unable to quell hopping around like

a rabbit).   But for vested hedonists (es-
poused or not), this is conducive to

torture.   Like waking up one morning
and realizing I’m a full-fledged extrovert

when all my years I’d been spuriously con-
fident in my introversion, realizing that I’m a

masochist after a lifetime of playing a pure-bean
vanilla romantic idealist is a groundbreaking, if

not utterly dementing, experience.   Here’s a toast
to slews of such deliciously preposterous discoveries.