Tuesday, November 12, 2013

mmxxviii

“Who’s That Flirtin’ with the Coach?”

     It’s the potential I’m in love with
     when I sleep with someone new.
                                    —Alex Dimitrov

I never had a thing for professors, teachers
or coaches. Starting when I was about
seven, I always brought along a few books
to read. Including, now that I just sit here
waiting (I know this part already), My
Hand Keeps Cramping Up
and I Want
to Hug the Brick Sidewalk on Market
.

It’s rainy with a few low-flying airplanes.
I love this city. Especially its mornings.
Especially when cool and crisp. Especially
when I take advantage of the entire page.
It is well worth the sixteen dollars and
fifteen cents. I presume that’s the most
I’ve ever spent on one, but I’ll keep you
posted. Feeling lost

I unholster my phone. Remember un-
holstering phones? I think I’ll start
with poker first. I say “poker” – just
a little bit louder than a whisper. Then
maybe a couple of rounds of bingo.
I just got into a dumb tizz, so am trying
to calm down. This is the way it always
works with me. I begin to know these

things. I am beginning to know things.
Just as soon as I remember something,
I’ve forgotten it again. It’s the morning
of a new day, as if the dawn of a new
era. That picture of you yawning with
my family. The you. The family. It’s
always the same thing. Easy off. Easy 
on. Easy in. Easy out.

Easy on.