Sunday, December 06, 2015

mmcdxc

“Whoa, Nelly!”

     A film may run in the same sequence each time it is
     viewed but it can never be viewed in exactly
     the same way.

                                           —Susan Gevirtz

Last night I saw San Andreas, the movie
with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and the
‘EARTHQUAKE’ that devastates California.
But it turned out to be less of a disaster flick
than a send-up to the Sunday night TV movies
with which Walt Disney bombarded my child-
hood. I'm not really saying anything bad about
the movie, I’ll admit. However. This week
I’ve been rereading Kevin Killian’s delicious
collection of poetry, Action Kylie. And it just
so happens that the film last night had a
completely useless cameo appearance
by none other than Kylie Minogue herself.
Let’s just say that I never see this film again.
If so, I’m pretty sure that the key significance
of (or any memory that may be sustained from) 
this morsel of family fare, for me, will surely 
always be Kylie Minogue’s appearance as The 
Rocks ex-wife’s new man’s ex-wife. She 
appears once. Directly before the earthquake, 
the fault of which the movie is named after.

San Andreas