Thursday, April 18, 2019

mmdcccxxxxv

Inner Dialogue
(Don’t Look Now, 
But I Believe I’m 
Already Back.)

I did not have the moral rectitude to tell her
that he’d never left in the first place.  “Not
even to smoke a cigar on the verandah?” I
heard this slowing, squeaky question from 
the back row and knew exactly what to do with 
it.  “Not even,” to which there was a long pause.
“Now just a moment, everyone.  Let me ask
you to each close your eyes.  All of you, now, 
okay?  Yes, it’s dark now.  The midnight hour 
truly approacheth (as the man sayeth).  You’d 
all think it was little bit like late night, Carson,
having just started.  Because it is the dead of
night.  Now can you.  Each.  Just imagine.  How 
utterly, painfully, beautifully beyond sexy that 
scene must have been?  [Shorter pause]  Man, 
those really were the days, weren’t they?  Gosh.  
And. Oh.  You can open your eyes back up again.
Thanks very much and have a wonderful mid-
night, everyone.