Tuesday, September 13, 2005

xxxvi

the piles of things on plates were so lavish
at the zoo that at one point I just took a seat
by myself next to the cages I CAN’T LOOK
the angels take forever trying to evaluate
a leaf folded over beside a chopstick
I think it’s just their way to dragon around
the bleachers with piles of brewed feelings
with an air of little parachutes of lemons
the limited chandeliers on their faces
cover plates of chopped lips          sheesh
the circumstances of the weekend have been
such that you are a limited coward
the main point is that I’ve been shadowy
I take out my Chapstick next to this
weekend of loss that has overwhelmed me
so as usual I act natural and eat my
magical orange over a plate of chopsticks
you know sometimes it all makes sense
something too spicy and too attractive is just so
horrible that the best thing to do is
to lose this awful sense of loss
he misses me and he loves me to death


first published in can we have our ball back?