Wednesday, November 30, 2005

xcii

I’m not gay.

I’d like to clear that fact up right now.

It’s just the biggest blizzard I’ve ever been a part of.

We started talking and talked for an hour.

The fog hid Coit Tower from my mother.

In retrospect, yes, I dated him for a few months.

But I did not actively participate.

To remind me that he still has my watch.

And he’s throwing a party on Saturday.

It was a dark roof.

We were walking home from some club

and he shoved me up against a vined brick wall

and started tonguing me.

I had the hots for the red-headed kid.

The inclination to just dive into trouble like that.

I paid my dues and that was that.

Twenty or so inches of snow.

Even if I did occasionally watch baseball,

after Thanksgiving,

in a sports bar,

with someone I thought was perfect

who held my hands in his,

on the table next to the green napkins.