Thursday, October 11, 2007

dlviii

Exes.   Mine was a shih tzu in a dream last night.   But first
he bought rockets.   We’d been to the moon a couple of times already.
It frightened me to do so.   But he wanted to go again.
So he gets in his car and I get in mine.   And soon the ambulances
pass us by and soon again I’ve come upon a massively devastating pile-up!
I get out and look for his car.   It’s nowhere to be seen.   Dead bodies
are surely in each smoking vehicle.   The pine trees catch fire.
I can’t help anyone.   I’m chickenshit just like he always said.
I get back in my car and drive backwards, turn off at another road,
find his car parked at his house.   He’s asleep.   The new rocket’s in his backyard.
He’s a shar pei, asleep, face down, arms and legs out, flaps of wrinkled skin
going the various ways of gravity.   The dream ends somewhere.   I’m
home by 2:30 after crying on Divisadero with Nina Simone in my ears

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel...