Friday, February 13, 2009

dccclxxxi

All transitions are seamless
                               —Lewis Warsh

Another happy thing that comes with wisdom
is reliving the moments of pleasure and allowing
harsh times to dissipate, holding no resentment.
Assuredly, I have most always been this way,
and cannot understand the concept of revenge.
Perhaps this is something of me (innate,
certainly not genetic), rather than a gift
from years and experience. A boy just
told me he loved me on a dancefloor. My
father would have been sixty today. Of this
I wrote “I am now the better him.” Today
(when he would be sixty-five), I say
with confidence, “I am now me.” We
should have spent the night in each other’s
arms. Note to Bill: You’ll love that in one
of the last poems I wrote, I tried to use the
word “blather” – however, I looked it up in
my small dictionary and it wasn’t there. So
I changed it to “bleat”. My family calling
is shepherding. Dark purple clouds in the
west. Otto is at work in the kitchen (at his
laptop). I am cognizant of a vector of love (life),
purposeful in its haphazardness, from there to
there to here. This is the best day of my life.