Monday, May 13, 2013

mcmx

A Thin Slice of Coconut Cream Pie

It looks like today will be nice and slow.
Or perhaps better put would be the calm
before the storm.  I know I’m supposed
to be paying attention to something, to

someone.  I can never tell if he’s drunk
or high or back on his various meds.  Or
all three.  The procedural act of disengag-
ing has been initiated.  And I am  s l o w

with peace.  Or pieces of it, anyway. 
The trumpeting phone interrupts and
I misinterpret my disengagement by
picking it up.  It’s I.K.  And that is

surprising.  We probably haven’t
spoken in at least a year (maybe
two?).  He was bored.  I told him
so.  I’m losing this game, struck

dumb by the (seeming/seething)
politics.  And then the world
traveler shows up, speaking
even faster than usual (my

stomach churning).  The
buzz of traffic in the dis-
tance is no competition.
At all.

I wish that I could take back
everything between then and
now.  However long the gap
that remains I’ll bet it will

stick around to remind us
how much better it always
was.  Better than even a
whole day of wishes.