Wednesday, January 01, 2020

mmcmli

Words follow heartbeats, arrogant and slow...
                                          —Jack Spicer

On this gorgeous-

ly dim-lit first day
of a decade, I place

myself upon an eld-

er tiny couch that has
under me a tartan mat-

erial (covering what, I

do not know) and these
must be kitchen dish-

drying towels that lay

upon each armrest. Up-
on the left armrest my 

left arm rests as I scribble 

this, for some perspective
or for resolution, I suppose.

But what is ever actually

resolved, anyway?  Is any-
thing finished, any promise 

ever completed?  The only 

load of laundry that I can
afford to wash whirls peace-

fully and hypnotically around

and around in the $4.45 wash-
er.  I am watching it (as usual) 

more sucked in than teevee until 

I either am hypnotized or asleep.
I dream the dream of restless wet

clothes anxiously awaiting the

glorious release of moisture that 
welcomes each piece into cleanli-

ness.  It is not so good when so

exhausted to dream either rest-
lessly or anxiously, I would say.  

“Please wake me up when the load

is done washing,”  I deign to demand
of my dream.  The dream wakes up to 

transfer the laundry from the finished

washer to the dryer (and puts in the
generally sufficient $1.25).  To never

leave the ancient couch with its

seats covered with a tartan mater-
ial is my New Year’s resolution.

Next year I will take my clean items

out of the dryer, which is an even
bigger television.  But I am already

in a hypnotized or dream-state and

now know what this coming year
is asking of me.  It has asked that 

my resolution be another year of 

complacency (“Complacency!?”
I exclaim to the year,  “Like the year

before and the year before that?  

Like the past 6 years or perhaps
even the previous entire decade?

I am screaming this).  Then, mir-

aculously (to me) I make my way 
off of the couch and stand there 

for a moment, a bit wobbly, mumb-

ling to the year that it is just going
to have to see about that.  “I’ll

find myself a new anniversary, that’s 
what I’ll do!” I tell the year.  
I transfer the items of laundry like

bills of currency from the washer

to the dryer, unaware of why I am
so agitated and confused, but care-

ful not to watch the clothes in the

dryer, lest I be drawn into their 
dark arts, hypnotized by the vortex

of their colorful swirl.  As my laun-

dry dries, I remember the litany (or
prayer?) I have come to say each

night of late (oh, the places at which
I have resided!).  And then I find myself 
in my cozy apartment. The confusion blows 

over except for wondering vaguely why 
I keep crossing over the threshold into my 
place with two tow-bags full of my clothes 

and some of my linens (but, oh, they 
smell so clean!); into a place I have
lived for nearly a year, but where I 

have yet to awaken with the memory 
of even a tiny scene of any dream.
Not even a hint of one.  Unlike any place

at which I have resided, I do not spend
the duration of day racking my brain to 
remember the teensiest tidbit of what

transpired the night before.  Not a clue
in my head; not a hint of emotion.  I
never sense a clue.  Suddenly, I have

the startling sensation of being a
guest sleeping in a stranger’s room.
I come to my senses at a moderate pace,

and begin my nightly “prayer” — I bow my
head upon my semi-strange bed and speak the 
address of each place I have resided since

childhood and think momentarily of the bed (or 
beds) I slept upon at each address and with
whom I slept at each (which takes considerable

memory and time). This comforts and even pleases
me as I proudly place each of my newly clean pos-
sessions into its proper drawer in its newest home.