Wednesday, March 10, 2021

mmmclxxii

Chapter 9: Isosceles, Isolation, Idolatry . . .

I’m already five months in this fine city and I have yet to make one
new acquaintance with anyone with whom I’ve been able to share
rapport of any truly meaningful kind. I say this as if it is the problem
of those around me, rather than, as I am well aware, a problem that
is mine alone.  And furthermore, I’m being downright silly thinking 
(and relaying) that I am metaphorically trapped in some sort of iso-
lation chamber.  Especially since, while it is true I’ve basically stuck 
to myself since my arrival, it just so happens that I now live in the 
same city as my two best friends from college.  There’s Edward, to
whom I am off to see presently, and there’s Marty.  Two things
complicate this most pleasant fact.   One is that during our last
year in undergrad, Marty and Edward had seen fit to elevate
their acquaintance.  Quite a bit, actually.  For Marty, this had
been something momentary, a fleeting inclination toward what
was always, of course, headed toward a timely terminus.  But
for Edward, it was monumental and enduring.  Only now it
was enduring without Marty.  And this brings me to the
second complication: Edward does not know that Marty
now resides in the same neighborhood that he and I do. . .