Friday, June 18, 2021

mmmcclxvi

The Toast

Hello, everyone. How about
we all gather around here, as
I’d like to propose a toast.
Let’s see [he closes his eyes],
this is where I always seem to
muck things up. [he opens his
eyes] Hello?! Excuse me, I’m
just trying to round folks up –
not sure where everyone went,
but they must be around here
somewhere. After all, where
else would they be? Oh – one
moment – I think I see a few
of them right over there. Yoo
hoo! Over here? Haha, I’m
always trying to get their at-
tention, it seems. It’s been –
seems like years that I’ve been
trying to get everyone to just –
yep. Those are, indeed, my
friends. Hang on [takes a
few steps in any direction,
puts his hand over his eyes
as if to shield them from the
sun]. Oh for Pete’s sake.
[he nervously titters] It’s
certainly a good thing that
we’re all friends here! I try
like mad sometimes, I really
do. Oh. I can see them now.
A few. Yeah. Well, it does
appear that there are those
who are within earshot, so
how about we get right to it.
Ahem! I’d like to propose a
toast. Oh, everybody! Oh.
EVERYBODY!!! I’m hearing
noises. Do you hear any-
thing? I think I – but no
one. No one seems to
be coming our way.
Don’t they know
that they’re about
to miss the roast?
Well, I do suppose
that we can begin
without them, as
they’ll be making
their way up at
any moment
now. A toast,
I say [he raises
an imaginary glass].
Oh, no . . . hey . . .
where’d you go?

the dinosaurs were toast