Sunday, July 11, 2021

mmmccxci

The Substitute

There is
the nec-
essary

stuff that
must be
accomp-
lished,
of course,
such as 
bathing or
sweeping
up when
the floor
is dirty,
tidying
the bed,
washing
clothes,
getting
a few
grocer-
ies, pay-
ing the
bills, cert-
ifying for
unemploy-
ment once
every couple of
weeks, to ensure
the check comes in
when it’s supposed
to, looking for 
employment:
sending out
resumes,
etc.

Then, there’s the
busybody stuff,
like sweeping
a second time
around, getting
down on hands
and knees to
scrub the
already
peculiarly
iridescent
floor, walking
to the corner
store for a 2nd
or 3rd or 4th time
for refreshments
when you’ve al-
ready got plenty
enough, spending
an entire day just
rearranging things,
everything’s about
as tidy as it’s ever
been, of course.

And there’s things
that I do for no
other reason, really,
than to while away
time, things that,
upon doing them,
give little or no
trace of a gain,
something
good that
can be 
palpably
had just for 
the doing of it. 
In this category 
are long naps,
and the
hour upon
hour (upon hour)
that I will spend 
playing my 
favorite 
cellphone
games.

Also, to what additional
use might a cellphone
be put without getting
at what’s real, what’s
needed, what’s craved
and yet seemingly all but
impossible to achieve under 
such situations as we find
ourselves in these odd
and endless days?
Why, Facebook,
Twitter and
Instagram
seem to
come in
just fine
on mine;
they’re
just the
thing for
feeling more
social than not.
And I don’t know
what all you might 
do with yours, but with
my phone, I can watch
late night television, as
well as early morning, early
evening, prime time and middle
of the night television, which
does seem right smart of it,
until I begin to think of what
it is that I’m really missing.

At the end of the day, I’ve
not had even one visitor,
and the same can be
said for every single
day within the last
year and a half
(Good grief, it’ll
soon’ve been two!).
And, I’ll venture to say
that I haven’t had an
appointment in my
calendar wherein I
have ventured out
to become a visitor
with anyone on the
outside, aside from 
therapist or physician, 
in nearly that duration.

And what is there
to do about that,
you might ask?
Well, in truth,
I’ve no idea
what you
might be
thinking, much
less what you may
be asking.  As
for me, I’ve
had enough of
having nobody
but myself with
which to while 
away the time. So,
what the heck,
it’s not as if
I’ve not already
become quite a
pest about it. . . .

All this I think
as I lie here
sleep-adjacent.

So, who’s up for
tea tomorrow,
you might wonder
. . .as I do. . .
. . .right now. . . 
whether I am. . . 
asking aloud . . .
or just. . .wish-
fully. . .dreaming. . 
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

time is broken just like i am