Wednesday, July 14, 2021

mmmccxciv

All My Friends Live in Other Countries,

          Take a good look
          at history (the American myth)
          check sell out

              —Cedar Sigo (from “Reality Is No Obstacle
                                  A Poetics of Participation”)

to which you might
retort, chucklingly,
“Well, buddy, I’d
look inward,” or
“That sounds like
some real close
friends you got
there.” These
words would be
said in passing
(of course) such
(at such velocity)
that my canned
response, “Ab-
sence makes the
heart grow…” al-
ways at the ready,
is practically (I
mean, I could
turn around,
backtrack 
all 
crazy-like, so
as to get with-
in earshot)
impossible, since,
words being words,
must by necessity
either be audible or
legible in order to
even be received,
as it were, and
everybody’s
always in such
a hurry, I lament,
nay, mourn,
catching the
rate of my own
gait such that I
nearly trip over
myself, and here
I pause, a bit out
of breath (the
pause merely
mental, as I’m
still walking,
albeit at a
slightly
reduced
pace) to
consider
where it
is that I
was, and at
such full-
throttle,
going.

don't look at me, i didn't do anything.