Sunday, July 18, 2021

mmmccxcviii

Straight from the Gift-Horse’s Mouth

Not being a
meanie, me,
I don’t (at
least not
presently)
mean to
deceive,
repeat,
do not
intend
to offer
up to you
or anyone else
a thing but for
myself. This would
be true (and is) re-
garding pretty much all
you’ve ever gotten at least del-
iberately from me. At least to me,
it generally seems best, as much fun
as a meaty role might be, to present
as who I am not what I want to be
or whomever I might think you’d
want to see. But what to do, as
often is the case, when try as
I might, I am just not gotten?

Perhaps in cases such as
these, it might be best,
even as my every attempt
is to present myself as
who I am (or who I
think I am), to art-
iculate or in some
way enunciate, or
what I think I mean
to say here is to,
with my very presence
and my actions articulate,
enunciate, elucidate the person
that is none other but me, and
once I’m done with that
performance, like any
artist who has just
completed a work,
a piece, I should 
and happily let it go, 
to say, in essence, this
has been a presentation
of me, then turn away and
simply leave, for once
the piece is done,

or stronger still,
what offering, be it
art or be it deed, so long
as it was purposeful, it makes
no difference how much effort it
might have taken just to get a
thing, whatever it might be,
to arrive as thing, a 
sculpture, painting,
poem, song a
novel or a 
dance, no
matter what a
person or some 
persons put into it, 
can this creation by any
means at all even so much 
as exist until it is no more the
giver’s, or the artist’s, this thing,
whatever it might become, just isn’t.
That is until the gift belongs no more 
to him or her or, in this specific case, 
at least, to me, because, as gift
now given (with the flourish 
of a final word or two) 
it now belongs (like 
it, I dare say, or 
notto you.

(What then
becomes
of me?
you might
or might not
wonder.  This act
has most certainly, 
and in no small measure, 
frighteningly, upped the ante. 
Why, yes, it is for certain that 
each time that I go through with
such an act as this, upon reflection, 
I must admit, it starts very often with 
a healthy, ascertainable case of stage 
fright for, believe you me, the last 
thing I would want to do is leave 
you with a gift that’s rotten.  So,
with most sincere apologies 
if youll kindly allow me to 
duck out quickly and 
embarrassed with 
promise that
tomorrow 
will at the 
very least 
attempt 
with all 
my best 
to do it 
better.)

here you go, a gift, it's me