Wednesday, August 25, 2021

mmmcccxxxvi

If These Walls Could Talk!

     Finally, alone.
          —John Ashbery

“I get it, you don’t have any
time because of what?” “Work!”

“If I were to stress eat, like
on teevee?” “Zsa Zsa Gabor!”

“With an ass like this and a
kitchen that won’t quit.” “Not

quite – give me a moment – Ms. –
Mrs. –” “It’s Mister Klemperer.

At least I think it’s Mister?”
“Darling, it’s just been the

two of us for how long now?”
“I think in terms of movies.”

“Sequels? But why not teevee?
That’s where it’s at. That’s where

it’s been for quite some time now.”
“Half a dozen years behind, remember?”

“I think it’s seven or eight.” “Mad Men!
“Well, considering there’s only just

the one of us talking, I’d maybe
reduce it down to the singular.”

“You never told me you were single.”
[Head drops into hands, a common

sign of desperation, not madness]
“My new year’s resolution was to

stop monopolizing the airwaves.”
“I’m not sure that worked out

very well for you. . .” “New Year’s 
Eve, my fortieth. It’s just that if I

get going on a subject, it’s a bit
hard to wind it down.” “You

mean the madness? Or the
despair? Oops, It’s a quarter

past. My wife’ll sprout another
snake if I’m not home by eleven.”

“Off you go, then!” “I know
darling...I really do.”

No Body