Tuesday, November 30, 2021

mmmcdxxxii

Veterans' Affairs

Vedral was in the military?” I entreat or
Exclaim, suddenly not certain. I hear “Alzheimer’s,”
Thinking yes, that was Ved, but the rest nod off as if in prayer. “Hey,
Eddie!!” I’m shaken. He knew the payout, knows the prayer by
Rote. “But he was MY UNCLE!!” I shake
And stutter the words everywhere.
Not so, Ray.!” It’s Irv, of course. Thinks he knows it all.
Says here Great Uncle.”

As if there’s a difference? I
Fluctuate between lost and finally seeing who Uncle Vedral was. Between
Finding myself securely and then getting lost in the confusion
And the clatter, or whatever noise you call that made by
Industrial strength styrofoam plates overfilled with gravy and almost nothing else.
Ray...” beckons Aunt Pearl! I cut her off, and the room, which I
Slice with my machete into enough pieces for everyone to take home some 
of their own.

“You think I didn’t know about the affairs?? Everybody knew about Ved 
and his affairs!  Until, that is, nobody did.

nobody remembered to bring the paint