Friday, May 27, 2022

mmmdcv

no. 15 – A Thank You Note
              to Acid Reflux
              and Google


I’m no doctor, but my
initials do happen to

be “Dr. C.” So here
is a little story that

proves that my initials
a more than a little bit

poignant. I do not
generally awaken to

find that I’m drowning.
But that is precisely

what I felt was hap
pening when I woke

up this morning, just
a few short minutes ago.

It seemed at first as if
I had awoken from some

sort of coughing,
wheezing, fever

dream in which I had
been for at least an

hour. So when I
did finally come to,

I felt like each
attempted ex

halation, each
burning cough,

might be my
last. And what

a last breath
that might be.

So I looked it
up. Apparently,

It’s pretty un
common to die

from inhaling
acid reflux.

Chronic acid
reflux (and I

haven’t read
enough yet to

know whether
or not this is a

thing I actually
suffer from – nor

what makes it
chronic? If it

happens a lot, I
figure it’s chronic;

that seems a logical
supposition.) is called

GERD. No idea what
that stands for, but

it must be an acronym
because it’s noted here

several times all caps.
I scroll further down to

make the real disco
very, though: “A per

son may suddenly
awaken feeling as

though they are suf
focating.” This sounds,

from what I can tell, like
quite an entirely separate

issue than inhaling bile
that roils up the wind

pipe and into the lungs,
right? And it is. How

ever, and it says it
right here, in bold,

“It also is often related
to GERD.” Hmm. Well,

it turns out that this ail
ment is called laryngospasm.

And furthermore I’ve experi
enced this particular phenom

enon, and am now here to
tell you, as far back as I can

remember. It has happened
as little as perhaps once or

twice a year to maybe 10 or
15 times a month. “The things

you learn when you do a bit
of research,” I think. And

I realize that by now, I am
breathing a whole lot easier.

scary nights and decent mornings