Wednesday, June 29, 2022

mmmdcxliii

Might You Wish Me Luck
A Little Bit More Definitively?


Is that too much to ask, even
though it’s such an embarrassing

request? But please just don’t
resort to charity. Or prayer.

I like my luck averaged out to
a general uptick rather than

down like life expectancy or
the current stock market or

my finances of late or, well,
like the bad luck I’ve been

getting for a depressingly
unlucky number of years

by now. What an ugly re
minder that life is too short,

don’t you think? Something
more akin to the luck of the

draw would even be nice at
this point, a little bit more

even Steven would just a
bout be divine. Can you

just make it hit before my
twilight years arrive (as if

they no doubt already have)?
Heck, I’ll go whole hog and

have an exorcism – I once
was ridiculously religious.

But what if that’s the prob
lem in the first place? I’m

beginning to feel awfully
blinded by the relative ab

surdity of logic these days.
And I’m old enough to rem

ember Thomas Dolby. I
remember him like a friend,

which is what I call the songs
that get stuck in my head, now

that the the best that I can do
is come up with one or two. I

mean, these days. Please say
you might be able to help me

with such dead end problems.
I’m no believer, I’m not super

stitious.  At least not any more. 
However, I am the only ghost I

know. Might that count to
ward something? So I’m

just so desperately wonder
ing, and I’ll be brief, I promise,

but if nothing else, could you per
haps, just, well, accentuate the

positive, should you find any in
the near vicinity. Of me, that is.

Which is to specifically say might
you talk me up? Just a little bit,

maybe? That’s what I’ve found
works almost every time. It’s

just that those times are so few
and far between now.  Like just

about never, no time, none.  Heck,
come to think of it, please bring

the incense.  And feel free to speak
Latin, I don’t care, if you’ll just do

me the favor of this visit. I know,
now, I’m just being a sacrilege, or,

more aptly a greedy, befuddled,
sacrilegious mammal who’s down

on his luck and has been for a
superstitiously unlucky amount

of ungodly years now. It didn’t
used to be this way. So, hey,

what do you say? How much to
disperse this curse? I don’t have

much but I’ll give all I do. What’s
a little exorcism between friends?

I’ll twist and turn and hack and
spit and do my best to believe in

the demon if you can just do me
the fortuitous favor of knocking

this long-term downturn into an
uptick. I’ll even be congenial,

put all my effort into an engaging
conversation or three, if I can only

conjure the memory of one that
was once upon a time a success.

So what do you say? Will you
knock my spate of sour luck out

of the park, maybe all the way to
the mouth of the bay, if not to

clear out to kingdom come?

repent