Saturday, August 27, 2022

mmmdccii

Never enough

is the business of doing
the same show we sleep for?

Can the man with all of the
money be shown the right door?

These riddles are plenty. I
come to you guilty with heart

burn. Will turnips, will
tulips suffice? How about

the mice in the closet an old
flame left me back in September?

They thrive. Will death
take me scared up to heaven

with feeling while they learn
new ways to eat cheese from

a trap? A contraption of death
that refuses seizure, won’t seize

them, resists any method to
silence the vermin, in fact,

takes as pleasure, a sort of
contagion, to find them

commingling and bruising
their whiskers with high-pitched

titters made distinct by the small
est of differences that might could

exist between individual sets of
tiny mouse teeth. I can hear

them from here, they teehee
in the closet, as I lay in my bed

all alone and I wonder (in awe)
if my neurons (they wander) escape

from my head, through my window,
and fly through the night just to lie

with the neurons of others (like me,
all alone and in wonder) whose

own neurons fly then directly at me
to bedazzle my dreams. What an

exchange that would be! Do we
dream in our death throes?

Isn’t that what I’m doing? Or
perhaps I will wake up to coffee

with cream and some Splenda,
or (if I arise) will there be none of

that waiting for me? On this
thought will I perish?

Enough with this freight-
train of questions, my dear.

I promise to answer
each query at sunrise.

Will you be here? And
promptly? You must

certainly know this by now,
my dear darling, but my

breath is far too precious
to waste.

(So, make haste!)

bee industrious