Saturday, November 19, 2022

mmmdcclxxiv

sloppy swamp talk
(stolen from the throat
of an alligator that had
just emerged from some
pretty sketchy quicksand)


when my fan is blowing
and I fly up the hill
to the other side of the teevee
just to be in your mouth

not that it has to be
either/or but it’s just that
your eyes look so lovely
tonight and so do yours

when I called you to ask
if he was really your
boyfriend you were on the
witness stand

“we never kissed” you said
and that’s true but I was
able to taste like never
before even thru the popcorn

if we go this whole movie
without holding hands
does that extend our time
by a month or so,

i.e., does running away
count as going slow
or does swimming in the ocean
under the moon by myself

all I never learned about
love keeps repeating itself
because I have a
really short memory

this swamp I’ve wandered into
well it’s full of mosquitoes
and I have somehow learned
how to kiss each goodnight

the quicksand unit