Wednesday, November 16, 2022

mmmdcclxvii

Whispering Hickories
Make Shadowy Paramours


I have known much
more mustache
than this. It belongs

to a known and
tranquil killer
names Harry, who,

by five, an
evening shadow
latched against

my side, twists
and twirls into
conniptions if but

to snag a bit of
attention so that,
like it or not,

we dance like
ticklish kids
around the house

for hours and
hours, until
a rash develops

on the skin between
my ribs and the
woolen shirt

which I untuck to
rid myself of all
the loosened hay

and earth and
crumbled leaves
accumulated from

a day of chasing
cow dogs over
the subdued

tricking creeks
and over the
rolling hills

of pastures
with my
whiskery

companion chasing
me without once
becoming short-

winded, even
stopping once just
to pick me a handful

of wildflowers,
no further away
than a couple

of steps, right
at my heels
all along the way.

live and grow, and write a poem after