Friday, February 10, 2023

mmmdccclxiv

Things Not Mentioned

     He says his mother has a couple of months.

                                           —Chen Chen

So I wind up, and quickly,
talking about anything and

everything. It’s a thing I do
that ingratiates me with a

stranger or two. I don’t do
this with strangers very

often. Nowadays, strangers
are all I have. “Including my

self,” he said. “So you like
talking anything and every

thing with almost anyone,
even the occasional stranger?”

I couldn’t open my mouth,
thinking this must sound a

bit like therapy. This isn’t
therapy. I don’t like to talk

much. “That’s the craziest
thing I ever did hear, dear.”

He is just the coolest thing
ever. Like a computer, I can

feel the whoosh of my thoughts
as they go through the massive

bundle of stuff I, myself, would
rather ignore. For now. Maybe

forever. Which, as it turns out,
seems like a very, very small

amount of time. Time was
when thoughts did not go

about whooshing. Slide
shows that zip through

the carousel, giving the
audience but a mere

glimpse of most every
slide. What each must

wonder when they go
so swiftly through my

memories. His precious
pressured speech got all

clogged up. Time was
a square wheel. “Oh,

to be young again!”
he thought, and then

he collapsed into a
crumple onto the floor

where he now lays. Just
on the other side of that 

great big orange sofa.
[The lights dim to dark.]

talking with strangers about anything and everything