Saturday, April 01, 2023

mmmcmxiv

Universal Perpendiculars

A generous crumb from your
red velvet cake fell into my

love potion. I’m in my Prius,
following you down this long,

winding dirt road; you’re a
quarter mile up in your pick-

up truck leaving a wake of
dust that cloaks and then

clobbers all of my bright
ideas. When we finally

get to the Dairy Queen,
we order banana splits.

They’re separate orders,
have to be, like we could

split our splits: I crumble
cookies into crumbs to

cover mine. On yours
you dispense a neat line

of mustard. I lay my arm
on top of yours just to

show us off to the world,
our bond, our differences,

my pink pearl bracelet
forms a cross with yours,

a beach bum vintage
macrame slung with

several slick faux
turquoise chunks.

Then they get twisted
and knotted together

somehow, we’re no
longer at the DQ,

but have been riding
horseback through a

vast open meadow,
our horses both resting

now, their reigns
slithering like snakes

upon the flayed grass
below their heads.

With a little jerk, I
finally break us free,

watch a smooth pink
pearl go flying over

our picnic basket and
land somewhere at

the bank of the lake
that is our lunchbreak

vista. The horses
neigh at each other,

almost giggle, but
neither of us notice

the horses or the pearl,
really. We’ve become

tight parallel universes
whose melded contours the

cool breeze gets to
know, but momentarily.

perpendicular universes