Monday, April 17, 2023

mmmcmxxv

Driven


I have driven

this country

from coast

to coast (or

so) several

times. I’ve

taken long

weekend

trips up

and down

California,

where I’ve

lived now

for twenty-

three years.

I’ve driven

into and

through

each and

every con

tiguous

state. I’m

just talking

about where

I’ve driven.

Flying is

another

story. I

drove an

electric car

all the way

home and

back (home

being Arkansas) –

that was around

two decades ago.

I’ve driven into

Canada one way

and driven back

to this country

another. But

for eight years

now, I have not

driven anywhere.

Nowhere. It’s not

that my drive is

gone. Or else,

this is the story

that I am telling.

My drive burns

hot like tar on

the freeway.

This is what

I remind

myself

tonight.

driven