Monday, July 31, 2023

mmmmxxxii

The Logic of Coincidences

     I didn’t even know him when I wrote this,
     I was mad to think he cared.

                                    —Kevin Killian

I read an old poem about
where you are now and I
go “Wow!” It’s like I knew

you when I wrote it, but
no. Can’t be. Impossible.
Which takes the cake. Or

is the icing. When I see
an icicle I think of the
building in the backyard

of the house where I grew
up. Growing up is supposed
to be evolving, right? And,

of course, literally, growing
upwards. Gaining height
and breadth and girth. But

Dad would say, as it turns
out, quite often, when I’d
come home from graduate

school for the holidays or
a funeral, “You were so
much more mature when

you were three.” And he
was probably right. I like
that, of course. Concept

ually. But icicles. Also
make me think of vampires.
Is that weird? So this, as

you well know, is how I
own a conversation. It is
my form of control, this

meandering. Is that so
horrible? I come back
to you. In time. Just,

as it turns out, I looked
for, and, sometimes,
found you, years before

we met. To believe in
fate is daft, removes all
control from one’s destiny,

right? But piecing together
each odd moment of seren
dipity, cataloguing every

coincidence, even taking
into consideration that
hindsight is a form of

clairvoyance, at what
point does this cluster
of soothsaying incidents

become an anomaly?
It doesn’t matter if
nothing drew us

together or if some
unknown law of
magnetism gave us

no choice but to wind
up here, arm in arm,
eye to eye, etc. The

point is I like this point,
this moment in time,
and am giddy at the

mathematics of our
trajectory. Our what
ever, our ever after.

don't give up the ship