Thursday, June 06, 2024

mmmmccclvii

The Talk Show Gets Colorful

Well, it’s gay. Or representative
of queer and all of its various
thisses and thats. Which smushes
a lot of stuff together, but I’ve grown
over the years to appreciate that
smushiness. Especially as I’ve
become less problematic in the
eyes of the bozos than some of
those with whom I’m smushed
in there with. There was this
really weird Bonanza episode.
Gosh, when I mention shows
that old these days it begins
to other me in the worst
possible way. I keep
thinking about how I
hope that such things are 
going to be kept in the 
archives, as there’s no hope 
they’ll remain in any general 
psyche. Not that this is a problem. 
And anyway, can you imagine Roy G. Biv
as representative of you or me in, say
1963? We can go earlier but we can
certainly go a lot later, too. And who
knows about the future, see, the steps
back that are being taken could keep
moving further and further into
decline, out of reach, out of joy,
far away from pride? It breaks
my heart thinking what pride
might possibly evoke among
any general population or
especially among any
marginalized population
tomorrow or the
next day or in
the next
century.
But back to the episode.
Hoss, I think, had been
transported to a land
that seemed obnoxiously
Irish, and there was a leprechaun,
and I think an incessant attempt to reach
the end of a rainbow to get a pot of gold.
It was always almost within reach. Ben
and Little Joe, was this his name, Pa from
Little House on the Prairie a few years later?
Even Lorne Green, the patriarch of this all male
family was involved in this Saint Patrick’s Day
episode by the time the show came to some
end wherein the previous hour was surely
somehow wiped clean. So there’s that
notion, that representation, which as a
child would be my only answer, I suppose,
where it was nothing but a colorful map
that got you almost to that big pot of
gold, the hope of suddenly waking
up and being rich. Out of nowhere.
Of course, also, there’s the calm,
the peace of it being what remains
after the storm, no matter how
mild or how damaging; that
great big beautiful sign that
the storm is over.  If 
it ever really is.

pot of gold