Saturday, June 22, 2024

mmmmccclxxiv

The Myth of Choice

I choose love. I choose
recognition. I choose en
gagement. I choose world
travel. I choose to be ex

actly who I am, within the
bounds of logic and reason
able law, with no repurcuss
ions. But how many people

can I love at once? Or even
in a lifetime, individually? It
cannot be just one other per
son because I’ve lived and

there have been a few. And
for what do I want to be rec
ognized? Or how? By my
face, my gait, my shape, my

occupation(s), my preoccu
pation(s)? My so-called mis
takes? And what kind of en
gagement am I choosing?

Sex? Small talk? Convers
ations that go well into the
night while we’re all stoned
or high or drunk or coffee’d

up sober? Or do I simply
mean affianced? And where
in the world am I traveling?
Anyplace else than I’ve been

before? With what means?
Sometimes we have no choice,
or we don’t have many. Isn’t
freedom lovely? Define free.

Better yet, define good. What
are the qualities of a decent per
son, my grandiose aspiration (to
be one, to have one, to know

many). And what’s bad?
Name a bad quality that is
also tantalizing to otherwise
decent people. What are

my options? Well. Choice
being lovely and all, and
mine, is it a pickle or an
honor to get to choose

the qualities that mean
decency and those that
equal evil? I see three
paths before me. I pack

my bags filled with chains
and locks (their keys have
long been gone.  Which path
looks happier (another word

that needs its own architect)?
I make choices, build walls
and doors with bars that are
heavy and so hard to move.

This is no world for the in
decisive. And I am so ex
hausted with all of these
choices; this freedom.

choices