Saturday, August 31, 2024

mmmmcdxlvi

Ageism

I don’t have the
time of day. At
first, when living
alone, one could
not ask anyone
for the time.
Suppose no
phones, no lap
tops, no internet,
no Alexa. Alexa,
what time is it?

She’s unplugged.
I changed her
name to Ziggy
a few days ago
and had no way
to ask a question
for a fortnight (nor
any way to ask her
how long a fortnight
is) because I kept
calling her Iggy.
I’m very forgetful.
Just day before
yesterday...oh,
that was just
work. Does it
count? Does it
ever
, says my
supervisor, all
those miles a
way. When
push comes
to shove, I’m
a pacifist, al
ways have
been. Frankly,
the problem is
I just get distr
acted. I would
not tell you my
problems, anyway.
I used to wake up
awake. Now I wake
up to spend hours
awakening. Can
anyone please
tell me something
positive that can
come from this?
I can’t. I’d ask
Alexa, but I for
got her name.

Alexa