Wednesday, August 21, 2024

mmmmcdxxxvi

     Now the season of
     the furnished room.

                —John Wieners

He goes on to say his bed is
only big enough for one,
it looks like a/casket
.

Spend a little time with me
and you’ll recognize the
familiar glance, the

needy nod of I can so relate
and we are such kindred
spirits
. Spirited?

But I am no ghost.
Not yet, anyway.
And I have lived here

as long, longer, than
I’ve lived any place
but one in my

grown-up life.
Maturity has nothing
on me. And this place

is home. For now. For
longer than just a little
life. So it bears no

small significance
to this little life.
Even as many

times as I have
somewhat spitefully
called my home

a coffin, I still live.
Not wholly
within

this space.
And although this
small cube of dancing

air is mine. Inasmuch
as this steaming
hotbox has me

gasping for it,
air. Oh, it’s not
overwrought

like I am
sometimes.
I want to say

I have my pride.
Believing in the
warmth of

home, as I
still do here
in mine.


is  freedom a place to dream