Saturday, October 05, 2024

mmmmcdlxxxii

The Threshold

All I had for a while
after 50, were pictorial
reminders of my past.

I won’t say nothing
substantive, there
is substance, even

if but fleeting, hard
to catch, hard to
touch, not hard at all,

really, especially now
that I can barely see.
Is that how it is? It’s

not so bad. I like to
complain, much as I
hate doing so. Is that

how I am? Always
have been. Anyway,
so now that I’ve moved

a few years beyond 50,
have I gained anything
substantive? A couple

of small bookshelves,
a bag to carry some
from here to there

and back. There’s
a bottle of wine on
top of my microwave,

a tiny path separates
the shelf atop which
that microwave sits

and my bed. I built
the shelf less than a
month ago. In this

place 6 years, I’m
always running out
of space. Substance.

There’s nothing living
here but me. And the
stuff I’ve collected since

losing all that came from
before takes less space
than what I had in my

car when I left for college,
I’d guess. But this is the
largest bed I’ve slept in

singly for any amount of
time (the only one, if that
amount of time can be

counted in a couple of
years). And by far the
largest television set.

But still, I’d sit for days
pilfering through these
endless photos. Present

day down to my youth,
and a century further
still, given I had the

wherewithal to scan
them all, even the
ones of my great,

great, great grand
mother. I’ve come
to know the resemb

lances between her
and me, me and her,
even though I never

even laid eyes upon
her, given that we
were never alive at

the same time. I
wonder what all she
lost while still living,

what she had that
might be lost. It’s
odd that I find her

here, know her more
and more, the more
I look at these photo

graphs of photographs
that live inside this
little box, so filled with

non-existent figments
of memorabilia, this
ephemera that keeps

me company, builds a
presence and has me
feeling somewhat alive.

pixellated bunny wearing a teeny-tiny top hat