Saturday, July 11, 2026

mmmmmcxxv

The Spotlight

There’s something about
the spotlight.  I looked in
ward and wondered if I
was interesting.  Why

should anyone know who
I am?  All the while, I kept
formulating a person.  It
was really me.  Then I

wondered harder about
why anyone would care.
I guess the point is that
I did.  I wanted to be the

best at something.  Some
thing that came with a spot
light, that came with accolades.
I got cocky with musical instruments,

occasional applause and compliments
were key.  The lights of the football
stadium on me.  But I knew I’d never
be that good.  Then I tried pacing

stages, memorizing personae, being
those other people.  I’d been laughed
at for years, but being laughed at on
stage?  It was heroin.  Cigarettes.  I

don’t know.  But I was not good enough.
And I figured it required a certain predeter
mined stature, most often.  I have written 
since I was seven years old, maybe before 

that.  Because I loved books, I disappeared 
into them.  At nearly 30, I decided that is what
I will do. Write.  And, yes, I felt that it was some
thing I might do well. Or good enough.  It’s by 

my own measure, of course.  Which is mostly what 
counts. The spotlights are gone. But I keep having 
these conversations with books, with inanimate
objects.  I keep trying to make them laugh.

books that laugh