Tuesday, April 02, 2019

mmdcccxxviii

O neat-o friend of mine

        Small white chicken friends
          —John Ashbery (this epigraph, as well as the title 
             of this poem, are from The Undefinable Journey)

“So?  Didja get it?”

Apparently the same
concerns we have are

duplicated on the exact
other side of the planet.

Now’s a great time for
the exact other side of

the planet to be coy.
Doncha think?  Well,

I do.  I wanted just
a quick one, but one

that nonetheless
spoke to somebody,

even if he or she
or they, I suppose

we can say now, are on
this side of the planet;

maybe even next door?
I’m on a deadline (job-

searching).  Ditto and
Ditto may have just 

landed one.  Even though
it seems like I’ve taken

to simply speaking in
code, that isn’t precisely

the case.  It’s my head.
Just trying to get some-

thing out.  Probably
just about anything.

Hi.  I’m at my new desk
(thanks, Diane!) in my

new room (about which
there’s not enough time

to go into any “thanks”).
Needless to say I’m alive

as I write this.  But is it
really needless to say?

There are a few things
in this world that are

easy to do quickly.  I’m
speaking for myself and

in a general sense.  Like
the good general who 

may or may not have a 
job now, about which I

therefore may or may
not be celebrating.  This

all seems, on the surface,
fairly needless to say.  But,

lookee here. I went and said
all of it.  Every single bit.