Monday, April 08, 2019

mmdcccxxxiii

It Wasn’t an Event to Invoke a
Nonconformist’s Cliché About
a Higher Power.  Nor Was It
One to Untether One’s Wife-
ly Duties and Make Any Sud-
den Moves Toward Upsetting
the Applecart.  But rest and
relaxation are nevertheless....

The inquiring and quite intimidated gargoyles
were the subjects, I believe, of the article I
was enjoying at the time.  Dinner was running
a bit late, which is hot at all out of the norm.
And, also not unusual, the two Auntie's were
standing near the gas hearth, stock still, in
the particular way they always loved to pose,
believing themselves so very hip to the Age
of the Selfie Stick, as they called it.  Ron’s 
dun-colored mastiff arrived at the perfect 
time, spilled the entire bowl of pinto beans 
and somehow me under our elaborately-hewn
(I the had a moment to notice) dining room 
table.  Neither of us had ever pretended it
was an actual dining room.  But I was insis-
tent that it be both a room and a site with-
in which something akin to dining would at
least occasionally occur.  Anyway, no matter 
how seriously the belligerent Aunties were 
when it came to the diligence of their par-
ticular idea of hip portraiture, with its aw-
kwardly erect and severe look to a photo-
graphic layperson such as I (okay, it’d been
maybe a 7-minute duration of immobility
thus far.  But my god!  If they gave out an 
award for Best Mannequins Alive each Year,
well, they’d probably be dining with Meryl
Streep and not their petty “nieces” at the
moment).  One bare shrimp the length and 
(literal) texture of the gullet of an egret
makes for neither fine & dandy nor fine 
nor dandy.  On any occasion.  While I 
might be keenly aware that beauty is in
the eye of the beholder (that is my opinion
on that subject if it can actually be an op-
inion and not a fact; a fact with which Ive
had enormous amounts of luck if you'd ask
me, but then that would make light of the
fact that facts are facts, I suppose —
so don't expect me to budge from the opinion
that this fact is, um, a fact.) the poor gals
suddenly looked as if they might lose con-
sciousness, like, pronto.  Fo some reason 
this though forced my eyes to roll back-
wards, well into angles pointing toward 
the depths of my sockets behind which
I'm to understand the very brain can be
seen if only a tiny flashlight were handy
on such unexpected occasions. Later on 
sometime shortly after my eyeballs flipped
back around in such a way that they (and
on this I can simply suspect, as always, 
never having any eyes but my own, of 
course) in a somewhat more human fash
ion, I found myself staring in horror at the 
still models of the century and their chitosan-
riddled eyeballs as they sort of scooted (like a 
dog does across the carpeted room when it 
needs to, you know, squeeze the Charmin)
slowly, skittersishly and, I did detect, madly
at me.  Needless to say we never made it 
to the bakeless blonde brownies on that 
particular special occasion (and of course
I’ve already forgotten what had made ini-
tially made this day so special in the first
place, but obviously they were here, to-ut 
gether, with us, and a meal was being
prepared, so something special must have
been happening at the time or within its
proximity.  I felt a joy that cannot at this
moment be put into words (which would,
of course, be quite exactly: The Aunties 
are leaving! The Aunties are leaving!) 
sprint like a maraton into my head with 
nothing less exuberant than sheer unre-
strained glee.  I’m struck now with some 
shock at how unashamed I am of relaying 
this to you.  But, you know, honesty and all.  
Ew.  Well, anyway.  I was able to 
control my normally uncontrollable reaction, 
that is to present anything anywhere upon 
the visible surface of me how happy I was 
about this breaking news.  In retrospect,
I’ll just say that a senior must refrain from 
acting in any fashion that might be construed 
(or, as is most often my case, misconstrued) 
as the least bit giddy at your Auntie's posing
so long at a gathering that you are hosting,
that they have to do anything short of (on
this day) calling the ambulance to leave
said gathering way early.  At the precise
point that the door was shut behind them,
I figure that if you’ve gotta guffaw, guffaw 
you must.  So what if you’re a senior.  The
horrid apologies can come later.  (And if
you're not yet a wise and elderly woman
or, I'm sure, man, and something guffaw-
like erupts, you can always just apologize,
say that you were just thinking about 
something from last month, and quickly
retreat to the ladies' room.  I’ve done it 
all my life and it seems to work for me.  
On most occasions, that is.  There was 
that one time, but never mind that.  That
one’s a full story to be told on another
date.  If we ever happen to have another
after this one.  You don't know this about
me yet, and perhaps never will, but even 
though I do often go on, I don't think that 
I have I ever once told a story in its need-
ful entirety?  Which reminds me: on the 
day of occasion in which the Aunties be-
came frozen models for a duration well
over which any 80 year old should remain
that immobile and barely breathing) it
would seem to me that I had finally be-
come a woman with wisdom.  Which is
a very cool thing, I think.  One thing
is certain and that is that I was the
hostess with the mostest that day.  Oh,
and on a smaller but related note, 
not even once have either of us, whilst 
shopping, which is usually late on any 
weekday evening (by which I suppose
I mean, in general, shortly after midnight), 
exhausted, the two of us leaning dependently 
upon the handle of our one oversized but 
mostly empty cart as it crawls ever so slowly
down every aisle at Target or Safeway or
wherever, never has there been any reaching
toward, or even pretending to even notice,
those boxes of bakeless blonde brownies.
They are simply slowly passed, and are
unnoticed much in the same way that
most scenery in a play might be.  We
are by all means only pretending not
to notice them, but like most all other
humans on this planet, we've all both
got peripheral vision (speaking of oddly
and often unnoticed facts).  And I 
may not guffaw as I glance from the
corner of my eye at, what at the sur-
face, looks and seems in concept like
a wonderful, wonderful thing.  But
I let out at least a half-chuckle every
single time.  A frequent event that
seems to happen to me in mostly
inopportune moments and ones ins
which I assure you NEVER go unnoticed.