Tuesday, July 28, 2020

mmcmxcix

The Container

My head is more than
full .. is more than full
of the most awkward
fruits. The ones from

lands too far away to
even imagine when
these gem-colored
fruits have come

such a distance
just to lodge
themselves
inside of a

skull that
mathem-
atically
cannot

even con-
fine such
a single
misshaped

eccentricity,
even if it were
otherwise a dry
and empty shell,

housed within a
container that,
long after I
am no longer

one with its
physicality,
will appear
perhaps right

here, as if a
moth-eaten
rag of a mask
that would

not cover
but a much
tinier head
than the

one it does
now, drops
like a man
in a suit

from the
top floor
of a sky-
scraper,

in dizzy,
slow-mo-
tion ex-
haustion,

until its
puffed
chin
sound-

lessly
stops
in the
middle

of my
chest,
jarring
what’s

inside
my head
such that
an uncomf-

ortable cur-
rent gives
my spine
a hyper-

spastic
jumble
that
climbs

like a
rolling
quake
up my

back
but
just
to

edu-
cate
my skull
full of awk-

ward fruit
about con-
finement and
incarceration;

of min-
imal
rights
and

slavery.
And they
(my skull;
its con-

tents)
in turn
force up-
on me the

keenest
most fer-
ocious
percep-

tion, an un-
derstand-
ing of the
universe

and its
collect-
ive mig-
raine.

All this
tran-
spires
here ..

in my
solitary
home ..
which,

appro-
priately
enough,
is about

the size
of a
common
coffin.

the size of a common coffin