Friday, March 12, 2021

mmmclxxiv

Chapter 11: Symposium of Edward

I took Edward’s text and I twisted it
into a pretzel before I baked and ate it.

“Are you always in the business of
swallowing words?”  But I feign

ignorance, which is not such a
difficult thing for me to do.  Ed-

ward.  Edward is a brazenly thin
young man with an abstruse but

delightful sense of fashion; he
has perpetually mussed wispy

blond hair (cropped close, yet
always flying in all directions),

piercing blue eyes and an air
of omnipresence.  I have per-

sonally (and privately) nick-
named him God.  I’m walk-

ing between the train stop
and my apartment while

thinking about Edward
(Edward Edward Edward)

and trying not to bump
into a tree.  And this

I accomplish before
falling beneath one –

a magnificent oak –
in slow motion I

just crumple like
some nobody that’s

just been shot to
death in a movie.

Lying under the
oak like I’m dead,

but first twisting
around (the grass

smelling so very 
good) to squint

straight up
through the

half-shade
half-sun.