Wednesday, March 17, 2021

mmmclxxix

Chapter 16:  All I Have to Say

“And yet you laughed when I said
that I just wanted to let you know
that the topic you brought up . . .

the subject you seem so eager 
to . . . well . . . I mean, as you 
well know . . .your reaction,

when I said as clearly and 
gently as I could possibly
muster – and you know this

because haven’t we been
through this on occasions
too numerous to . . .?   It’s 

as if . . . .  Look.  When I said, 
as I have said before, that this is 
a bit of a touchy subject for me, 

why? – or how– could you just
 . . . why do you have to press 
forward every single time

Rather than just?  You 
know? . . . I am just at a
loss.  Howm I supposed to 

. . . I don’t even know 
what Im saying.  What
I’m saying is this.  How 

are we . . . how are you 
and I supposed to even 
. . . to even . . . work . . . ?

Alright, alright.  I have
said this to you before.
And again before that. 

But look.  Here’s the
deal.  And this is going
to be my last word on 

the subject, I mean 
it!”  And so Doug, 
as Doug does, said

what he believed
to be the truth,
and what he be-

lieved to be the
finality of what 
he had to say 

on the subject.
And then he 
went about 

his day, and
the days after 
that, sort of

repeating it,
again and again
and again and again,

until what he was saying
evolved.  He tried, then,
to write it down, these

evolved words, as he be-
gan, at least subconsciously
to recognize them as an

off-kilter echo, as it 
began to dawn on him
that he was saying some-

thing a bit different than
what he had said the time
before, that what he said now

was, in fact, significantly
different than what he had
said only a few weeks past.

So he would keep writing it 
all down, often a bit thunder-
struck at the difference.  And he

told and retold this in both public
and private, with finality?  He felt 
that he had to get it right, this

mess of words that he kept
speaking, saying.  “I must bite 
the bullet,” he would say to him-

self.  “I must put my money 
where is mouth is,” as the
saying goes.  And that he did.