Sunday, March 14, 2021

mmmclxxvi

Chapter 13: Gemini Crickets

Lying beneath a magnificent oak tree in the middle of a
semi-deserted city on a lovely afternoon squinting up,
up, up at the sun, I am of two minds.  Do I just lie here?
Or do I stand up, shake of the detritus of oak and park
and city (and dogs both leashed and unleashed)?  Or

do I venture forth as I originally intended for my 
date with Edward, late as I am, given up on me 
as he likely has by now.  This is the current fork 
that I have happened upon in this, my balmy ver-
sion of a snowy evening of. . . . I check instantly 

to determine if Frost, too, was a Gemini. Nope,
Aries.  In this ,,, OTHER ,,, this separate, sunken 
universe, I am, as always, multi-tasking.  I type a 
line or two, then shift to the other side of desk, 
tap a few taps onto a separate keyboard than the 

one which I am presently using, flip through photos
I have taken throughout my life, or have been taken
of me  these happen to be from a couple of years 
ago  in an effort to catalog the entirety of my 
thus-far existence, adding locations, adjusting 

an incorrect date or two, making a few notes
on the line that reads “Add a description,” 
just in case, , ,of posterity?  Or mostly it
is self-discovery: attempting a gross
understanding.  So as to live with peace

and purpose.  And joy.  And contentment. 
After I’ve done this with, say, a dozen 
electronic slices of my past, I spin the
seat of my chair slightly further to my 
right so as to face the age-worn 

printer/scanner next to me, adjust the
diary of my grandmother, my mother’s
mother, in such a way that I can then
come back to my laptop, the one upon
which I am once again or still or

currently typing, where I then com-
bine press [Alt][tab] and then and
without interruption lift my pinkie 
while continuing to hold down the 
[Alt] key with my weakest finger, 

tap lightly with my pinkie onto
the [tab] key, which prompts 
the interface to my hand-me-
down Epson printer to the 
top of my laptop’s screen so

that I may then click on the 
button labelled SCAN, which 
will add on more slice to the 
tens of thousands of electronic 
slices of me that I will later 

spend hour upon hour of 
scrutinizing, tagging, de-
scribing, remembering and,
then, with the addition of this
new image of handwritten text 

that has moved from my grand-
mother’s diary into my laptop 
and then on up into one of
several so-called cloudswhich 
is somehow genetically a part

of what will become me, even if
it is not of my actual memory – 
but a glimpse of that which is me
and of my history and holds
significance in what brought me

here – after doing all of this, 
coming back to the point of
origin at which I was when
I first began this litany (to-
day’s edition, anyway), I

will then scrutinize, along with
the rest of the expanding and
already bloated catalog that
is and will become, inevitably,
the guy sitting here tapping

these lines into existence, in
what is hopefully not simply
just an onanistic effort to 
reconcile that which is 
electronic and tangible 

with that which is not: 
with he who is still 
really doing this, just 
as curious and wanting
(wanting!) more than 

the sum of ever, but
who is, nevertheless,
cumulatively and
only, of course, as 
ever, yours truly,