Wednesday, August 04, 2021

mmmcccxv

Things to Do When You’re in Love.

          OK, let’s cope.
             —John Ashbery

I do but fall, I cannot
even catch myself, but 
how fantastic and how
horrid it most certainly
would have looked had 
anyone but me have 
been here to see it
(and keep in mind
there is nothing at
all hurting save my
pride), half underneath 
my bed, slipping madly
off the desk chair my
good friend Diane so
graciously sent as an
early birthday present
when I first moved in
nearly 3 years ago
(I must make time
cease to give the
impression it’s flying
buttresses) – and with
the phone still at my 
ear no less, as he had
called and was he ever
laughing – hang on. So
half under my bed, my big toe
torn in two (ok, it’s just the 
toenail, and it’s much worse than
it looks?) by my foot’s suddenly
being thrust by my fall to the floor
into the bookshelf, the one
with almost no books
(but lot of dried beans
in little diabetic baggies: 
like garbanzo, pinto, black, 
and black-eyed pea, where 
here we might leave the legumes,
so as to get right to the lentils –
orange and navy green – but
how am I to know, so long
as it isn’t string green beans,
strung beans, unless of course
it’s a lima (a lima bean, I remember
the two Limas [L e e m a  and  L y m a]).
Oh, shut up, you crabby fool!
Some people don’t mourn
every day like I do, mourn
every day? If I weren’t so
stoned I’d be ROFL. Which
is really all I was trying to
tell you about, because it
was so hilarious. By which
I mean tragic. You were
laughing through the face
on my phone (always with that
drop dead face!). I wanted to stop
your laughter dead in its tracks by crying. 
Sobbing like a watermill. I remember watermills.
Watermills. Broken toe. Leg
at such an odd angle. Okay,
two legs. Not at horror angles.
You were laughing, I was sobbing
into a milkshake? An imaginary
milkshake that had been real
only a few short moments ago.
“Don’t forget about midnight,”
says he, so sweet, and all my broken 
legs and toenails and the assemble-
out-of-box chair from Diane
that I got nearly four years
ago when I moved into this,
wow, I don’t even know what
to call it as I look around won-
dering what to ever call it. . . . .
Elvis in August (me half
under the bed, how can
I miss Elvis, no matter
which way I move my
broken face, no matter
if I spin the chair on
top of me clockwise
or counterclockwise –
which one is Australia?
I forget), tragedy of comedy,
half under the bed, broken toe
on the bookshelf with
almost no books, “Don’t
forget midnight,” but
by then I can’t shut up
about Mozart – da Ponte
operas and Aristophanes
and Shakespeare, the
only things worth a damn
older than a hundred
and fifty. And wouldn’t
you just know it, but
from tragedy, or more
from drama queen, at 
that, 
I was practically bubbling
over talking about those
damned operas, sublimity
and Peter Sellars, it’s the
same stories (do they ever
even change?) 
– and you said,
and did you ever say, just
like always, something 
that made me seem 
but invaluable. Elvis,
with his really nasty
jailhouse sex-face
sneer, Elvis the Un-
realistically 
Twisted 
Pelvis, tilted there
above my also
oddly-twisted
body which  
I  s o m e h o w
n o w  c a n  m a n a g e

to haul
up onto 
the bed
which I
was just
beneath;
my bed
with all 
the boxes
atop it
and with
and upon
which I
now curl
up some-
how not so
uncomfortably 
feeling just
exactly the
opposite
of tragic.
And it is
yet an hour
to midnight.

lovely, nasty, sex-face elvis