Thursday, August 05, 2021

mmmcccxvi

To Bleed But Not To Howl

     His lesions were legion.
             —John Ashbery

Nowadays, there have
been times when just

a tiny bit of funny stuff
can turn me somehow

into one big blubbery
pile of the wettest mess.

But this, as it turns out, is 
most notable in light of

the fact that, for most of
my life, it is rather that,

during times most anyone
would consider the saddest,

when I’m amongst the most
depressing lot that you can

just imagine, there have been
way too many instances that

have arisen when someone in 
that downtrodden group, half

choked-up, says a few words 
that are just mind-bendingly

sad, after the which there is a 
long and particularly silent pause, 

well, wherein I’ve but bitten my 
lip good until it bleeds. And not 

from hunger, hon, no. But that’d 
sure be all kinds of ridiculous,

wouldn’t it, and at the very least, 
in more ways than just one?  But

rather, it is that I am so frightened,
that I might burst out with a big

belly laugh, having for some
reasons quite unbeknownst 

to me and in no time flat 
worked myself up into such

a lather that I've got a howl 
that’s come to hover just right 

here, behind my tongue and, 
boy, is it about to rupture!

I cannot think of any time
when I, amidst a crowd

that for a time has stood or
sat so darkly quieted, due 

to something horribly 
depressing that has just

been said or done, but that 
right after, just inside the

dark side of my lips does
this transpire: I bite, and

in exchange for the shriek
that such a toothy nip

would have most certainly
emitted, down goes the 

laugh that could scarcely 
have levitated even a split

second longer without an 
ungodly seismic eruption.

Having long ago become
mathematically capable

enough, plus the tinny taste 
of blood to which, year upon 

year I’ve become so accus-
tomed, these days I barely

wince, and not because I did
not learn the hard way how a 

shriek of pain can conceal, 
that is, can cancel out, a

shriek of laughter. 
 So I can
assure you all that as of now 

I’ve no qualms at all, in fact
am quite readily at ease, in

justifying that a little scar 
inside the lip, a bit of blood

to taste and then ingest, is by
and large a much more desirable 

option, in my expert opinion, than 
the alternative embarrassing spectacle.

Princess Leia bites her lip.