Tuesday, August 10, 2021

mmmcccxxi

Oceanography

          I’ve been meaning to pick up a bag of lettuce on my way home.
                                                                         —John Ashbery

hang on i’ve
gotta get
lost in this.

there. that
doesn’t feel
terribly safe,

now, does
it? is goal
achievable?

why, i already
feel lost, and
come to think

of it, is that
really what
i’m asking

for at pre-
sent? for
words to

be drugs?
to be the
drug?

am i in un-
charted terr-
ory, yet? map’s

glitches what
we’re looking
for, here?

nuh uh.
i know
my gen-

eral vicinity.
it’s just that
in relation to

anybody it’s
got nobody.
like valium

to vertigo,
thinking
it’s gonna

be just the
sauce for some
swagger, when

instead, it’s got
me curled up
into a knot

riding the
floor like
a wave,

crying
out for
gravity.

all too
literal.
so may-

be the fog
isn’t exactly
the smartest

safety net
(forgive me,
my blessèd

city.). may-
be a trance
is more of a

dancefloor
aspiration,
maybe

deeper into
the dark
forest

isn’t the
right
direction.

concentrate,
eyes up, off
the feet,

stand up
straight,
still...is

this better?
i’ll not
blaspheme

the sooth-
ing fogroll,
but as it

lifts, i can
instead
rejoice,

focus,
get to
know

what i am,
gather my
bearings,

pause, set
coordinates,
and only

then,
move
forward.

the steps