Monday, May 30, 2022

mmmdcx

no. 20 – A Thank You Note
             to Jennifer Grey


Jennifer Grey dug up her diaries.
They were dusty. They’d been in
a crate for some time. She’d
written them from when she
was fourteen until she was
forty-one. She says about
dancing that she has a very
interesting relationship with
dancing. “It’s all about con
nection. You just feel it,”
and “the thing is if you love
to dance, you have to dance,”
and “If you’re not a good dancer,
it doesn’t fucking matter.” I think
she said fucking. It was bleeped
out of her interview on Seth Myers.
Also, she hates the term diarist. It’s 
embarrassing is what she means,
I guess, to be dubbed a diarist.
To explain, she talks about when
she opened that crate and dusted
off the diaries to read them for
the first time (She had decided
she was going to write a memoir –
she’s a celebrity, so, of course.) –
they were very musty, she says.
She had this surprising realization
that she was the same person at
fourteen that she was at forty-one.
It was almost all silly stuff about
crushes. She was disappointed.
She thought perhaps she’d have
matured during that timeframe,
at least a little. So, anyway, she
wrote the memoir, which gets
good reviews (from a review
on Amazon: “This memoir is
one of a kind. It’s intimate
and honest. Candid and raw.
Nothing is held back…”), and
so she’s come out of her
mostly reclusive life – there’s
hasn’t been a lot of spotlight
since the brouhaha died down
from her infamous nose job,
it seems – to do a press
junket for the book and,
while I was never a fan
of the big movie she did
with Patrick Swayze (to say
the least, and with apologies;
the big dancing movie for me
from that era, or so, was, of
course, Footloose, just so you
know), and by extension of that,
I honestly never paid much attention
to Jennifer Grey (that is, until I realized,
quite surprisingly, that she happens
to be Joel Grey’s daughter (and
it is here that I cannot help
but add that the guy here
with two degrees in theatre
has only seen one show on
Broadway, and I’ve always 
taken great satisfaction and 
pride in the fact that at that 
one single show that I saw
on Broadway, I experienced
the wonder of seeing Mr. Grey
do a little song and dance
number – it was a revival
of Chicago, which also
starred Lilith from
Cheers, I believe,
(and yes, that number
was “Mister Cellophane”),
and that connection, of
Joel to Jennifer, must have
only become known to me
some eight or nine years
ago, I suppose? Any
way, so after tonight,
I’m a big Jennifer
Grey fan because
I can totally
relate to her.
Also, apparently
she and Madonna
were pals, and in
the interview with
Myers she says that
Madonna’s hit “Express
Yourself” was inspired by
Jennifer. So, while I don’t
think Madonna ever wrote a
song inspired by me, there is
a lot that I have in common
with Jennifer Grey. And
that’s cool enough to
give a little shout out,
if you ask me. Which
you didn’t. But I
did, anyway.

Jennifer Grey and Seth Myers