Wednesday, February 15, 2023

mmmdccclxvii

Finding Your Fonda

I can feel Jane Fonda’s
weirdness in me. Meaning
I can relate to her fairly

omnipresent fish out of
is water look on her seems
fairly new to me, but thinking

back, it was always there, or
maybe a bit deeper beneath the
surface usually. For two years now,

however, I’ve watched interview after
interview that she has given, obsessively —
and they have been relentless, such an

easy thing to obsess over. And they are
so rarely just one-on-one interviews.
They’re not all with Lily Tomlin, either.

It’s during these multiple interviews
that a less apparent side of this diva
of the silver screen and boob tube,

this icon of activism and feminism
and empowerment comes shining
through. I’m talking about the

way she goes about forming
friendships. When Fonda decides
she wants to get close with someone,

it is often even before she literally
meets them. She will see someone
onstage during a performance, or

in an interview on television, and
she will immediately know that this
is someone she wants to know better

It seems instantaneous. And once
she has made up her mind, she
will relentlessly pursue a friendship

with that individual. She will find
a way to make it clear to the person
that she wants to know them. And

then they just cannot rid themselves
of this goal. This may be at first
annoying to the objects of affection,

but it is apparent in interactive
interview after interview that
once that bond is made, it is

wholly mutual. When within a
cadre of friends, it is also clear
that she loves to play the buffoon,

to be the center of attention, to be
the butt of any and all jokes. This
act can get a bit feisty, and all

players in this game seem to
relish it with intensity, while
also managing to defend her

with sincerity and grace to the
very end. This is the characteristic
of the lovely Ms. Fonda to which I

can most especially relate. It is
quite possibly what makes her
infinitely endearing to me as

time passes and she so grace
fully ages (would that, all along,
I were doing that part so well).

This, it turns out, is a quality I
recognize so well, because it
at least used to be one in me,

one in which I’d exercise
unswayingly, sometimes even
to the seeming detriment of my

already well-polished and oft-
present group of close friends.
Like her, I was drawn to folks

who liked to stir up trouble,
so to speak. Who loved to
shake things up or, as some

might call it, make things
interesting. As I sit here,
smiling, however, I cannot

somehow jealously wonder
how significant a part this
quirk that we share played

in the complete obliteration
of my so carefully sought out
and built-up and nurtured and

finessed group of friends. That
seemingly lovely group who
meant the world to me would

be always around, participating
in the great adventure of life
and then, in what at this date

seems like instantaneously,
a mere split-second, say,
they were completely gone,

dispersed, most never to be
seen since. It seems so odd
to repeat but it’s a mystery

that every day since has
befuddled me, and remains
the largest mystery and the

worst nightmare of my
very existence. And I
am not being hyperbolic

in the least. That the
presence of this group
of individuals gave me

such joy, and such reason
to wake up to each morning
now has me wanting to dig

deeper into what I see in
Jane Fonda as this grand
similarity between little

me and internationally
treasured her. But it
becomes a huge

difference, as I watch her
talk about how her
“sisters” are those whom

she says will always have her
back, will be at her side until
the end. So it would seem that

what feels like a very similar
thing that Jane and I share, in
reality, I suppose, I just do not

have it. Something about the
quality of me, which was such
a cornerstone to my everything,

was flawed. Whereas Jane seems
perfect in every way in this depart
ment. Which has me thinking a

thing I do all too often: should I
ever attempt to rebuild myself
a new family like this? Or should

I just give up on that notion?
There are moments when I
see signs that give me hope

for rebuilding such a group,
and I think what a good thing
it might be to give my all to such

an activity again so that I can
do it better than before and
enjoy the fruits of such labors.

However, it does seem to be
an exhausting project to once
again begin, knowing especially

what happened when I thought
once, and for so very long, that
I had really succeeded in such

an ideal undertaking. But I
continue to open my eyes
wide for those positive signs

and will perhaps make my
Jane Fonda moves should
those signs brighten, even

in the slightest, for what
to me is a duration of
any real significance.

Electric Barbarella