Friday, May 31, 2024

mmmmcccliv

Interview Moment

Oh it’d be Trevor,
I can’t even tell
you why, though,
I just totally dug
that name, maybe,
or I guess I’d heard
of two Trevors that I
know of, one being
Trevor Horn because
Howard Jones was
my favorite artist
for a lot of my
late adolescence
and teenage years,
all the way to college,
actually, I’d perform
Dream Into Action,
you know, the title
track of his album
that was a follow-up
to the one that had the
number one hit New Song.
This album also had what
is probably his most 
recognizable hit,
No One Is to Blame
(only not the version 
with Phil Collins
playing the
drums), but
instead, like I
said,  the title 
track which wasnt
released and which
nobody but me knew.
But I knew it. I’d always
wear a plaid house robe,
get up on the coffee table
and lip sync to the entire
song (and yes, I knew
every word). The other
Trevor was Trevor Winkfield.
And here is where my 
memory screws me over
because I was not that
young when I discovered
Winkfield, that British 
artist and writer who 
had such colorful,
mechanical-looking
paintings and was
friends with most
of the original
New York School
of Poets.  So I had
no idea who Trevor
Winkfield was until
I was at least in my
30s, which was well
beyond my Trevor-
loving years.
Nonetheless, 
in answer to your
question, I guess
the name that struck me
as fantastic from the moment
I saw it on the liner notes of 
the Howard Jones albums I
purchased originally in
cassette tape versions
somehow became the
it name for me for a
while. But, well, 
the truth is, I
would not want any
other name, no way,
I love my name in the
end. I mean Trevor is
nice, but my full name,
well, my Dad came up
with it, and it’s a splendid
name, seems to me like
it could be on a marquis,
and I use my whole name,
otherwise it’s pretty dull,
but with my middle name,
yeah, that’s the name I
publish with and it was
the name I’d do theatre
with, so, yeah, I love
the name I have.
Second best is still
Trevor, though.

Trevor