Sunday, October 04, 2026

mmmmmccx

Turning That Frown Into A More Spirited Squiggle

     When you have [big] changes in your life
     it really cleans out your ... rigid idea of who you are.

               —Willem Dafoe (from Wild Card with Rachel Martin)

I found these words to be a magnificently liberating 
notion.  A new way to reflect on a period in my life 
which I have up to now tended to think of as a very
negative space; one in which I dwell unnecessarily, it 

turns out.  I think Bingo!  Why on earth has this set of
unexpected circumstances been handled so pain
fully, with such tension?  Why treat it strictly as
downturn, a dramatic shift in the opposite direction

my life had traveled until that point; from a sharp-grade 
ascent until to that moment when it shifted downward, in 
the direction of, I often imagine, a rock bottom, that has
ever since descended, and into such depths that I think

so poorly about this sad and expanding portion of my life?  
Such that I rarely think it living?  What a simple shift, these
words create, leaving room for a wealth of possibilities, of 
positivities, a new and more mature way to treat that moment 

when everything changed, when signs pointing in any dire
ction were all suddenly gloomy gray arrows that sloped 
ever-downward; signposts in a swampy atmosphere that, 
now with these words, have fresh perspective.  I have con

cocted a period of momentum, rife with new ways of think
ing, turning what I had for so long thought of us ugly and 
tragic into a space of experimentation that enables
a pivotal moment of relief, of renewal, of progress and 

radical growth filled with new ideas and fantastic, 
shifting priorities.  Just like that, a tedious limbo fills 
with electric tension and sprouts a long-flowing 
fountain from which creativity and inspiration spring.

slow and steady decline