Wednesday, March 31, 2021

mmmcxcvi

Chapter 27½: Entr’acte

Boom boom boom. A throbbing beat sliced with multicolored
laserbeams scissoring/sizzling the air around us. Ubiquitous
disco ball. And what seems like around a dozen too many
vodka tonics sloshing around inside of me. I’m on the virtual
diving board, poised like Greg Louganis over the dancefloor
ready to dive in. Boom boom boom. First Marty leans in to
me, then Edward, then everyone on the entire floor. Nothing,
no body, of course, is appropriately proportioned; to my left,
everyone has a face that’s three times larger than it should
or could even possibly be, while, to my right, a stampeding
horde of gigantic legs. All are bounding/bouncing toward me.
Every moving limb, every gigantic face, they are all coming
at me, they are all here for me. The world is mine. The
entire universe is waiting. For Dougless. To dive. In.
And so, with possibly near-perfect form, Doug leaps into
the air, his body flipping itself over and over and over until,
just at the right moment, it opens all the way up and lands
with agility on its own feet, exactly at the beat, so that his
body every so smoothly starts bobbing and weaving into the
exact rhythm of what’s being played. The crowd goes wild,
placards rising up with glowing 10’s waving as far back as
he can see in the thronging tumult enveloping him. Marty
and Edward and, now, Doug, all happy, drunk and throb,
throb, throbbing.

Entr'acte