Friday, July 30, 2021

mmmcccx

Oh, Today!

Could it be?

It might.

Not that I
ever felt
normal.

Normal
was not
for me (happily)!

But could it that
my next tomorrow
a regular day might be?

I sound such the sap
but I’m not full of crap
or at least so full as you
might see. Be. Cause.

Could it be?

Who’d even know?

Might it though?

Look at me while

you blow smoke up my ass?

If you’ve got to ask
then just think what
you want, I don’t blow
up your butt just to tease.

Oh, could it be? (Look at me!)

Might we see? (I’ll say!)

One day will come
like a prickly pear!
You’ll stick your poor thumb,
and I’ll say there, there!

And blow it a kiss
something very like this
[and look! there it is just
a’flying through air, making
noises like whiskitty, shishkitty-doo
and we watch as it flies
making curlicues,

shish-shish-shish-shish
goes the kiss (goes the kiss)
shush-shush-shush-shush
a red blur (looks like mush)

moush-moush-moush-moush
coming in for a landing
whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo
i think it just missed you].

What if tomorrow it comes in a way
that is quite very opposite of our today?
What’ll be normal? We’ll hope and we’ll pray
that we’ll be together (yes we’ll be together)
oh we’ll be together (you’re damned right, we’d better!)
oh we’ll be together tomorrow
tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow
and in such a way that by tomorrow
you know that we’ll surely have forgotten today.

We’ll start fresh, a new normal, tomorrow,
so that what is unusual’s not what’s today,
that’s tomorrow, not this very day, yeah, hooray!
What was unusual will then be just
yesterday (yesterday yesterday yesterday);
all of the humdrum and tragical yesterdays!
From here on out only happy tomorrows!
(No more dreary dismals...)
(Here come the cheery whistles...)

Yes!

Everything’s normal tomorrow,
and happy and carefree and gay.
Wash away all of your sorrow
today today today today.
For soon it will be tomorrow,
normal and happy tomorrow,
having washed out our yesterdays
once and forever

(Washed them all downriver
with baritone)

(Our toil and our teardrops
the rapids they took them
no longer our problems
thank God we’re upriver
oh shouldn’t someone run
to Downriver City to warn
those poor folks that it’s
their turn now to 
sing all the blues?)

(Their turn now,
they’ll be singing forever!).

So let’s hold hands together
and walk up the river the
opposite way.

And so there we went
all right in a line walking
upriver backwards all feeling
sublime. And some say
they heard them up Michigan
way, but could not quite see
where they got to that day.
And some say they heard
them in Canada, too. And
I think that, just between
myself and you, they’ve made
it up north so far, this happy
crew, that they’ve carved up
a whole bunch of cubes of
packed ice and made them-
selves a big tabernacle igloo.
And what do you bet that
each is as warm as a
good heart beating? 
guarantee you that
they’re still up 
there singing.

And I’ll bet that they’ll
stay there a very long while, too,

just singing the happiest tunes
as they do, while they’re out-
living me and they’re outliving you.
No doubt in my mind, 
I tell you right now
that by far they’ll be 
outliving poor me and poor you.

through the eye of the igloo