Tuesday, September 24, 2024

mmmmcdlxx

Be Nice and Stop Murdering

Simply cannot fathom what would make
these, the most essential rules of thumb,
need to ever be broadcast in the first
place. Even if saying such things were

ever necessary, and were written into
a general book of rules, say in stone,
when people were relative newcomers
to the scene, I mean. But just think,

and we, supposedly evolved creatures,
that is if evolution turns men into monsters,
and perhaps that’s all we ever were, here
I am, by no means the brightest bulb on the

planet, certainly nobody of any authority,
saying it here: Stop all the meanness!
There isn’t one of us better than any other.
We all have not-so-great days. But how do

you solve a problem like murder? Incessant
death by the hands of others. And look,
we’ve evolved in such ways that we needn’t
even use our hands. It’s the most depressing

and disgusting thing, and don’t get me started,
there are plenty of such, but murder? Stop it!
Do I really need an argument in defense of such
logic? I think my demand is clear enough. What

a world it would be if you’d just heed my word
and do as I say. I’m not looking to win a debate,
just appeal to logic, to common sense. Or are
those just myths? The times might say so. The

Times
might reiterate. But I disagree. Inflict no
intentional pain. End foul play. Play nice. And
don’t kill anybody. Can you hear? Am I clear?
I’ll trust that you’ll abide. Or I suppose I won’t.

Just give me a holler if you’ve the urge to step
over and into the dark side. (There, I tried.)

obey