Saturday, September 12, 2026

mmmmmclxxxviii

What am I doing, in memoriam?
What I do to remember your death
is none of my business, really.  I want
to sift through pictures of you at parties—
all the rest of the attendees gather around
your throne (your edge of the big green sofa),
everyone is attractive, participatory, filled with life—
they are mixed among other colorful photographs, here
we’re at the aquarium, here we’re sipping wine at glen ellen,
and here we’ve somehow found ourselves walking a golf course,
glimpses of the ocean appear behind your vivid hair, ornate fountains 
spew arcs that are bent by a breeze I suddenly remember (flashback to
a spirited dance toward your dark straw hat that’s been blown off
the top of your head, and to me quickly stooping to scoop it up. 
i place it securely over your vivid head.  What do I do with 
such memory-soaked time?  How to best put use to such
reminiscences, to gather perspective in relation to the
present and uncertain future. To, as pleasantly as
I can, take it all in, so that I might with purpose
and grace, give my best from 
where I now 
existwith an unwavering awareness 
and with utmost respectto this, 
our own living and dying.

color my world with rainbows